Green Stuff

TysonPiano@aol.com TysonPiano@aol.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:04:21 EST

Thanks Marcel,

       I'll look for that source of powder in the future.  In this piano,
however, both rails had felt. The powder was spread over the tops of the keys
after the key button.  I found no powder in the action.  There was also the
taste of copper from the airborne dust.

       If I see this powder again and no foamed rails, I'll close up the
piano.
It is very fine, nasty powder and quite difficult to clean out without
inhalation.

George Tyson, Associate
Klamath Falls, Oregon

George,

I've seen some spinet which had some kind of foam instead of felt for the
hammer spring rail and hammer rail in some cases. This foam was originally
green but with time it just breaks up and could have created the condition
you have seen. The foam become like dust only where the damper wire touch it
and under the hammer shanks. Check it out again.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC