Collard & Collard, (Muzio Clementi) Square Piano

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:12:43 -0800

List,
I would like to let everyone know that I have a client that would like to
sell his Collard & Collard, (Muzio Clementi), Square Piano. This a VERY
UNUSUAL instrument. It is Blonde Birds-Eye Maple throughout, with Gold Leaf
everywhere. It was restrung and some restoration work has been done.
Although, the work is not up to my standards, the work was decently done. (I
do not know who did the work.)
The first time I saw this piano, I was absolutely stunned. It is indeed very
beautiful. I was made Circa 1832. It is excellant condition, for the age of
it.
I appraised it's value at $12,000. Reason for the EXTREMELY high appraisal,
was that it was probably a "special order", "one-of-a-kind" instrument. I
consulted with my local collector/expert and with ,(memory fails me here), I
think, Southby's. All were in agreement that this is a VERY UNIQUE
instrument. With all the Square Pianos and Square Grands that I have
seen/worked on, etc., this is hands down the most gorgeous one I've seen.
The current owner is open to "offers". He does not have room for it in his
home. The previous owner, has passed away, (he had the piano for many years
and was the person that hired me to evaluate/appraise it, originally.)
I will say that some more restoration work is needed in the action, etc.,
but it would not be a major project.
If any one of you know of someone seeking an extremely rare instrument like
this, please contact me and I will put you in contact with the owner. (No, I
am not getting any kind of compensation for this!!!) Serious inquiries only,
of course.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)