Why make your own capping material instead of buying it?

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:26:27 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Roger Jolly <roger.j@sasktel.net>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: Why make your own capping material instead of buying
it?

> >P.S. Has anyone tried even harder, tighter grained
> >woods than maple---like "Ironwood", for example?
>

> Thump,
>                Various manufacturers have used box wood for
caps, and have
> abandoned the idea after having problems with glue joint
failures.
> Roger

    Roger,
        I am wondering why some brave enterprising souls have not
tried plastic for a capping material.  The advantage of this is
that you only need a preformed plastic piece  with bridge pins and
compete with a super exact cut for each note.  It is then screwed
and glued to the bridge in the exact spot.  I was hoping Wapin
might explore this.
    Yes I know about the "bridge repair clips" made from pressed
steel (catalog # _____)   but they had blatant deficiencies unless
you had blatent loss of bearing for the notes you used it on.
Still not a bad idea, eh?
    Say, did I ever tell you about the experiment of putting #12
wire behind the front bridge pins on a bridge that lacked front
bearing?   I  should have compared to # 8.    ---rm (the "m"
stands for 'midnight meanderer')