Pinblocks - Good & Bad

Kerry Cooper brispiano@optushome.com.au
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:09:52 +1000

Terry,

I have used Delignite, APSCO, & Renner ( almost the same as Delignite) and
the Renner plank was far superior in the longevity department then any of
the others. What has been said about being precise about drilling is
correct, however,  if the pins are punched as would be normal, and your
drilling is .001 in, the pins will not turn and will break. I found that by
turning the pins with a ratchet wrench, you get a very even and nice firm
pin. I tuned a piano I used this method on 12 years ago just last month, and
the pins are still the same as they were when I finished the job.

Kerry Cooper
Accredited Member APTTA
Brisbane, Australia
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 12:46 PM
Subject: Pinblocks - Good & Bad

> Anyone interested in the perfect pinblock? I am.
>
> Where price is not a concern, to the best of my knowledge, the
quarter-sawn, 5-ply, hard maple Bolduc pinblock and perhaps the
many-laminate, rotary(?)-cut, European Beach Delignite pinblock are
considered two of the best. Are there others in this class?

> I would like to hear what folks think are the strong and weak points of
both blocks (or other top quality blocks).

> Bolduc - strong points - excellent tuning feel. What else is good about
the Bolduc block?

> Bolduc - weak points - lack strength in no-plate-bushings applications -
tuning pin can work forward. Is that true? Any other weak points?

> Delignite - strong points - strong, resists pin migration in
no-plate-bushings applications, resists tuning characteristic changes with
humidity fluctuations. Other good points?

> Delignite - weak points - drilling critical to get appropriate torque. Do
they last as long - perhaps pins will loosen faster with such a rigid block?