Steinway grand music desk guide rail removal

FIXPIANOS@aol.com FIXPIANOS@aol.com
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 18:31:51 EST

In a message dated 2/16/2003 4:43:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Wimblees@aol.com writes:

> If you're talking about the thin slats of wood on which the music desk
> slides, this is the way I remove them. First, using a 1" chisel, I break
> the glue joint from front to back, by hitting the chisel right where the
> slat and the rim meet. The, I use a 1/4" chisel and start at the back and
> gently tap the rail out. You might need to use the 1" chisel several times
> to break that glue joint.

Are you holding the 1" chisel in a horizontal or vertical direction. I would
imagine that held horizontaly you would split right through the slide but I
dunno' since that's what I always end up doing anyway.

> There is another way I have heard about, although I have never done it. You
> can plane off the slat even with the side of the case, and then install a
> brass or nickel slide, available at the supply houses.

I have, on accasion (when I've obliterated the existing slide attempting to
remove it) found that I can cut a new mortise in the case using a biscuit
joiner, moving it an inch or so at a time. The slot thickness seems almost
perfect. But then I have to make a new slide. I'm trying to re-use the old
one here.