Steinway grand music desk guide rail removal

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:40:17 EST

In a message dated 2/16/03 5:53:50 PM !!!First Boot!!!, FIXPIANOS@aol.com
writes:

> I need a way to remove the mortised Steinway grand music desk guide rails
> without splintering them in the process. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

If you're talking about the thin slats of wood on which the music desk
slides, this is the way I remove them. First, using a 1" chisel, I break the
glue joint from front to back, by hitting the chisel right where the slat and
the rim meet. The, I use a 1/4" chisel and start at the back and gently tap
the rail out. You might need to use the 1" chisel several times to break that
glue joint.

There is another way I have heard about, although I have never done it. You
can plane off the slat even with the side of the case, and then install a
brass or nickel slide, available at the supply houses.

Wim