Wood (alternatives)

Sun, 16 Feb 2003 09:27:28 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 16, 2003 4:15 AM
Subject: Re: Wood (alternatives)

> MDF ! That was it....
>
> sheeeshh.. I've been dinking around with my puter too much lately...
>
> MDF yes... Would that be good for key frames ?
>
> RicB
>
> Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

Not appropriately. It is not a structural material. It has enormous amounts
of creep. Cut a slice 25 to 50 mm wide and a 1 m long and support it on both
ends, leaving it free in the middle. Come back after a couple of weeks of
humid weather and check out the sag.

Actually, it has been used but it requires suitable reinforcing as in sturdy
veneers on both sides and/or supporting logs underneath.

And it's really, really heavy.

Del