Thickness Planer

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 11:21:32 -0600

>Exactly. That is where I am going to start. Hopefull I can get a blade
>that will slice cleanly enough for me that my laminations can go from the
>bandsaw directly to glueup. I found
>this:  http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/product.asp?0=294&1=295&3=1294
>  It is from Highland Hardware and is called their Wood Slicer bandsaw
>blade. It is a Super Sharp Thin-Kerf Precision Resawing Blade. It is
>specifically made for cutting veneers (not that I haven't heard that
>before!). I would like to turn 12 mm of nice maple into a 6 mm thick cap
>of 1 mm laminations. We shall see.
>
>Terry Farrell

Sounds impressive. Will we get a report?

Something else occurs to me about planing thin stock. My old Parks is cast
iron, with a pretty solid bed. The newer lighter weight planers often have
formed sheet steel beds. Any flex and bounce in the steel bed would (seems
to me) adversely affect the results. I don't know construction details for
your planer, but I thought it might be pertinent.

Ron N