Why make your own capping material instead of buying it?

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 07:02:49 -0800 (PST)

Terry,
    I agree with you on all counts - especially your
philosophy. I certainly couldn't live with myself if I
did not strive to make each and every piano I restore
as fine an instrument as I am capable of. There is
simply too much involved in a restoration to avoid
spending that extra 10 or 50 hours it takes to "do it
right"! I was simply suggesting that we lobby those
specifically in the supply trade for better stuff, if
so warranted. "Pianotech Inc." would be most inclined
to hearken to despair over adequate capping materials,
methinks. Or, perhaps, some tech could do it as a
"sideline" and advertise in the journal????????????
     What truly amazes me, though, are all the mid-
19th century pianos I have seen with REALLY NARROW
bridges (like an inch!) and not a crack on 'em! No
visible caps. No obvious laminations.
     How'd dey do dat?
     Del?

     Really curious this time,
     Thump

P.S. Has anyone tried even harder, tighter grained
woods than maple---like "Ironwood", for example?

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/product.asp?0=294&1=295&3=1294
> > >  It is from Highland Hardware and is called
> their
> > > Wood Slicer bandsaw blade. It is a Super Sharp
> > > Thin-Kerf Precision Resawing Blade. It is
> > > specifically made for cutting veneers (not that
> > > haven't heard that before!). I would like to
> turn 12
> > > mm of nice maple into a 6 mm thick cap of 1 mm
> > > laminations. We shall see.
> > >
> > > Terry Farrell

=== message truncated ===