Wood

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:36:16 -0600

>Hi Ron,
>
>http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/for/for55/for55.htm
>
>And I quote from the above: "Because wood is a hygroscopic material
>(meaning that it readily takes up and retains moisture), it is impossible
>to prevent moisture from entering dry wood"
>
>No information on rates--but clearly wood wishes to *retain* moisture which
>was what I was trying to say in the first place. I.E. it comes out slower
>than it goes in.
>
>Regards,
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.

Hi Don,
Sorry, but that doesn't logically follow. Sure dry wood in damper air will
absorb moisture and retain it until the air MC gets below that of the wood,
and wet wood in dry air will release moisture to the air - which will
retain it until... There's no indication in the above as to which will be
faster - MC differences being equal. Air's hygroscopic too.

Ron N