DC

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:46:50 -0700

Unfortunately, no sunshine at night, we're not that far north.
Otherwise I'd be able to climb round the clock.  :(

Oh, I get it, it was a joke.......  =Þ     Yes, the temperature still
drops here at night, as it does everywhere on earth when the sun goes
down.

I do have a friend working at a facility in Antarctica, if you'd like to
email him about temperature and humidity differences between high and
low sun.  I'm not sure they have a piano there though.

Admittedly, I don't document things as well as I should sometimes.  I
don't recall what the smallest variance has been.  I know that with
nothing, the piano will suffer 20-30 cents every 6 months, sometimes
more when the fall transition happens, and the heaters come on.  Since
most of my customers play their pianos a lot, I don't know that I have
anyone who's piano stays within 2 cents.  Many of my customers are, or
have been performance students.  They tend to play a little harder than
the average 6 year old, and for hours a day.  What I mean to say with
this, is that while I haven't measured it, I'm sure their pianos vary by
more than 2 cents a year.  I don't know that I've ever seen a regularly
played piano that would stay within 2 cents in 12 months.  No matter
what the environment.  Of course I could be wrong.  :)

I have kept track of RH levels though, and know that the unit keeps
things in what I would consider (at least for this environment) an ideal
range.  Different pianos react differently in different situations, so
I'm not sure that your question is a fair one.  But like I said, I have
kept track of RH levels, and this is what I'm most concerned with.  The
stability it provides is seen in the way the piano holds up.  But that
stability is completely relative to it's stability before it's climate
was controlled.

Best Wishes,

Jonathan Finger RPT