hammer rail sandpaper query

baoli liu baoli_liu@yahoo.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:39:21 -0800 (PST)

Don,Tom and list,

I do the same way,except I prefer using two parallel
narrow strips instead of one wider strip.

One reason comes from the screw holes.when I punch the
sand paper for screw holes,it's hard to keep the paper
even and clean around the screw holes, causing a
little more hammer traveling work.
Another reason comes from the top surface of the
rail.if you check the top surface of the rail
carefully,you may find that some,if not most, of the
surface is not flat.by using two long strips,the
flange can rest on the rail more solidally.

of course,if you want to spend more time to clean and
sand the top of the rail,you can same time on
travelling.

I always try to use less travelling paper,because I
know it's not stable.

--- Donald Mannino <donmannino@attbi.com> wrote:

---------------------------------
Tom,

Clean the old rail per Roger Jolly's instructions.  I
like 180 - 220grit open coat garnet with A weight
paper.  That's the thinnest, andisn't always
available.

I use 3M spray contact adhesive.  Spray the rail
lightly (mask offnon-paper areas), spray the paper
lightly, and CAREFULLY place the paperon the rail
without cutting to shape.  Then use a knife
(withdisposable blade) to trim the paper using the
rail as a guide.

Quick and easy.  The most important part is getting
the rail niceand clean and flat before you put the new
paper on.

Don Mannino RPT