Keytop Glue

Thu, 13 Feb 2003 06:54:19 -0800

You can build yourself a rack for clamping them using trap springs.  Use a
1 x 12 piece of wood and cut it long enough to hold half of the keys (or
all of them if you want).   Get a 2 x 2 and notch out one corner along the
entire length by about 1/8", this will accommodate the lip of the keytop.
Attach the 2 x 2 to the 1 x 12 toward one side leaving enough width to
cover the length of the key top, but not so much that the flat surface of
the 1 x 12 will extend out to the key buttons.  Mount the trap springs into
the 2 x 2 which will act as clamps holding the key, top side down on the 1
x 12.  Leave enough space between springs to allow you to see the sides of
the keys easily to make sure that the keytop doesn't skate when you place
it under the spring to clamp it.  Cover the clamping surface of the 1 x 12
with felt as well as the side of the 2 x 2 that will come in contact with
the key front.  Clamp the whole thing to the work bench while you are using
it so that the keys can extend out away from the bench and the backchecks
and key buttons will not come in contact with anything.

Once you've put on the PVC-E glue, squeezed it into place with your hands
and wiped off the excess, lift the trap spring and slide the key
underneath, top side down (on the felt) onto the clamping  board.  The
spring should contact the bottom of the key.  Push the key up against the 2
x 2 to clamp the front (the notch you've cut out will allow the lip to
slide just under the 2 x 2).  By the time you are through half the keys,
the first one you did will be dry and you can start removing the dry ones
as you go to be replaced with the one you just glued.

Hint:  The height of the 2 x 2 may have to vary depending on the shape of
the spring you use.  Test first to be sure that it will apply enough
pressure to hold the key in place but not so much that you have a hard time
getting the key underneath.  Trap springs come in different stiffnesses.
Use medium or heavy gauge.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net