DC

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 07:43:14 -0500

Have you monitored RH in homes during all seasons? I can only assume that homes have pretty high humidity in the summer (and hence very good reason for DC installations) - perhaps much like Ft Lauderdale or Tampa, where I am located.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "KENNETH FINLAYSON" <kennyfin@jetstream.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 1:21 AM
Subject: DC

When I think about the benefits of a DC installation, I think about tuning stability in the short term, and string corrosion, glue joint, soundboard panel, bridge cap longevity in the long term. I would imagine putting a heater bar in a piano that has a sluggish action and is in a very humid environment might help free the action - but I have never sold a DC unit to solve such a problem.

Tuning stability in the short term, and piano longevity in the long term. IMHO

Also, Ken, do the installations you have seen include a properly installed humidistat? And what neck of the woods do you hail from?

Terry Farrell

Hi Terry!
I'm in BC, British Columbia. The climate is rather moderate. Over the years, I have seen many DC's installed. The newer ones have the humidistat, and the customer is very proud of the set-up. Of course I am not going to say anything to disturb their peace. Many older ones are disconnected and not in use, because frankly, in this climate - in this climate I don't think they are necessary.

Many people ask me my opinion, and I say, frankly, 'I don't believe in them.' Now if I lived in Ft Lauderdale or Darwin, I see I am persuaded otherwise. Thanks, list.  Obviously this is a somewhat ticklish subject, for there has been much response and controversy, everyone seemingly seeking Steinway's benediction. In any case, I feel much better having brought it out in the open.

Kenny