Philosophy

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 00:47:07 -0600

Well, to quote the late, great Joe E. Brown: "Zowee." That doesn't make a
great deal of sense, I know, but it was the first thing that popped into my
poor little head when I read your post. Don't know what else I COULD say.
Zowee!

Alan
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of KENNETH FINLAYSON
  Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 12:28 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Philosophy

  You said "...our primary reason for existance is not to make money." To
  which I say, with respect, bullmuffins. The primary function of any
business
  is to make a profit. The primary purpose of any employment is to make
money.
  Can we do that with integrity and honesty? Absolutely. But I'm not in
  business to be noble: it's my livelyhood. This is NOT a personal
critisiscm
  of you or your operating philosophy, but making money is a good thing.

  Hi Alan:

  My philosophy is something like the following.

  If you are an artist, and paint oil paintings, you sell them - not to make
money, but for the sake of the art. Sometimes you make it big. Most of the
time you suffer. Do you call this a business? I don't.

  I am an artist of sound.  Every tuning is like selling an oil painting.

  The primary purpose of any service is to serve the public. The drudgery of
having money, survival, employment, a new car, income tax, are only
sidelines - that take up far too much of my time, and I wish I didn't have
to bother with it.

  Can we do it without honesty and integrity? Absolutely not. Can we tune
six pianos a day and put the money in the bank? Absolutely not. Why? We must
think of nobler things if we are to survive. It is not for naught piano
tuning is deemed 'the noblest of trades.'

  Kenny Finlayson, RPT