DC

KENNETH FINLAYSON kennyfin@jetstream.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:13:23 -0800

charset=3Dus-ascii

Kenneth,

I would caution against being overly critical, considering your lack of
experience with the systems.  However, I will add that, depending on
where you live, a Dampp-Chaser system may indeed not be all that
helpful.

Let me give a couple examples, and you can see if you want to maintain
your position.  Like you, I was very skeptical when I installed my first
system, but the woman was a music teacher (and a lawyer's wife), and she
was frustrated about how the piano wouldn't stay in tune.  I installed a
system with the understanding that I would remove it and refund every
penny if she felt she had "thrown her money away."  That was nine years
ago.  Now she says, "You may use me as a reference.  There is no way I
would ever do without the Dampp-Chaser system."

We have a system on our home piano.  Our talented pianist daughter, who
played the piano almost every day, was playing one time and thought the
piano sounded out of tune.  She checked to see if the system was
unplugged, and sure enough, it was.  She plugged it in again, and the
tuning improved markedly over the next week.

Those are not an isolated responses.  I could cite dozens of other happy
piano owners who have installed partial or complete Dampp-Chaser
systems.  Would you try to convince them they "threw their money away?"

To insinuate that those of us who sell Dampp-Chaser systems are just
promoting a scam to make more money is highly unfair.  I have had enough
success (results, not money) with the systems that I would really like
to do a full-scale promotion to make sure that everyone knows they are
available.  So why don't I?  I guess I should, but I have too much work
already.  I never suggest additional services or products just to
increase my bottom line.  (Did you notice the "never?")

Now about your reference to tight centers, I will agree that if the
piano has a sluggish action year-round, a Dampp-Chaser isn't going to
solve the problem.  Perhaps there is a piano technician in your area who
is claiming the system will do something it cannot do.  But here in SE
Pennsylvania, there are some pianos that get sluggish when the humidity
rises and work well again when the humidity falls.  In those instances I
believe a heat bar and control can solve the problem.  But frequently,
the condition is too severe, and center pin work is called for.

Since you do not believe in the systems, I doubt you have installed any
and are therefore speaking from opinion or from very limited
experience.  If that is the case, it would be wise to be less critical
of us who see Dampp-Chaser systems as a part of quality piano care.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA

Hi Clyde!
I see. Of course it would depend also on the climate.  My girlfriend is =
always warning me about broad statements. I retract in any case, if you =
feel the opposite. Perhaps we have learned something. 'On ne fait pas de =
musique contre quelqu'un.'  My intention was not to be over-critical. =
And, after all, it is the intent that counts.

You're so right. My opinion is from limited experience, for I have never =
installed DC, nor  have I ever wished to, or ever felt there was a need. =
Nor, on the other hand, have I ever had any experience in hot and humid =
terrain.=20

I am almost persuaded to take a second look at DC.

Kenny