Pinblocks - Good & Bad

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:45:09 -0800 (GMT)

Something in between should be
pretty close to ideal. So I've decided to try to split the difference between feel, forgiveness, and firmness, with a hybrid. I made up some test samples of blocks using a body of the cheap rotary cut block, with a layer of Delignit laminated on top. The idea is to get the benefit of the resilience of the rotary cut down in the block, with the support and pin migration resistance of the Delignit at the top. I tried 6mm, 9mm, and 12mm
Delignit laminations, as well as a control sample of just the standard block....

It seems like a fair split between the best of both worlds.

Ron N
----
My understanding is that this is similar to what Yamaha is using.  I have to confess that I've never seen a Yamaha pinblock as I've never disassembled a Yamaha piano.  Would anyone with more Yamaha experience care to comment?

Phil F