DC

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 10:10:52 -0600

Re: DCWell I disagree on a couple of points.

One: I just installed a full system with bottom cover on my own 1920 Geo.
Steck Grand. I absolutely believe in the DC. I've seen untunable pianos
given new life. I've seen soundboard cracks-so wide you could watch the
owner's dog playing under her 1906 Steinway S-completely close up. And I've
installed one in a Chickering quarter grand with a terrible pinblock that I
had struggled to keep in tune for 2 years, owner then sold it two months
later with the DC intact and it was hauled into the hills (literally), I got
called to tune by the new owner and the darn thing almost needed no
tuning--amazingly in tune. And that last piano had gone from a
well-regulated climate in a manufactured home to an old farmhouse using
wood-stove heat and it was the dead of winter. I honestly can't understand
why any tech  who works in an area of wide temp/humidity swings and has
installed a few systems would not be as enthusiastic as I.

Two: You said "...our primary reason for existance is not to make money." To
which I say, with respect, bullmuffins. The primary function of any business
is to make a profit. The primary purpose of any employment is to make money.
Can we do that with integrity and honesty? Absolutely. But I'm not in
business to be noble: it's my livelyhood. This is NOT a personal critisiscm
of you or your operating philosophy, but making money is a good thing. I've
made quite a lot of money on DC systems. And I've made my life simpler--when
I tune pianos with DC systems I sincerely believe (from experience) that
they tune more easily, require less pitch correction (if any), hold their
tune better, and are simply more stable. I would like to see a well
installed--plugged in and maintained--full DC system in every piano I'm
asked to tune.

Nor do I "push" the DC systems or act like the stereotypical life insurance
salesman. For appropriate situations, I explain how climate affects the
piano, point out any specific problems with their piano and environment, and
give them a brochure and/or let them watch the video. I quote my price and
two-thirds of the time they say "Gimme one."

I know I'm not the only tech who's enthused about the DC, but I will stand
down from my soapbox now, gotta go to work. I have 4 upright systems and 1
grand DC system sitting in boxes in my living room. I will be installing
them this week and next.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO