armond re: 1920's pianos

Armond armond@snip.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:47:48 -0500

i think i was a little out of line and harsh on my fellow technicians on
this subject of quality pianos.

things change over the years and i give you all alot of credit for being in
this business.

let's just say that the ultimate in available materials, craftsman, and era
timing to make fine pianos existed in the 1920's without a doubt.

being in FL prior to NJ most customers were people i had for 25 years, so my
experience would be limited mostly to older american instruments.

i probably will be doing dealer prep work again soon to get started here

from what i hear on this technician chat web, at the very least, it is going
to be different for me.  can they be tuned well by ear?

the accepted sound of the piano has changed, for the worse, in the last 25
years due to faster and cheaper manufacturing demands by those who own the
companies.  it is up to us as technicians to learn how to make the most of
it for the customer and stay in business.