Pinblocks - Good & Bad

Serge Harel serge.harel@videotron.ca
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 07:51:31 -0400

Terry

If price is not a concern...You forgot the S&S pinblock. I like to use
it when I have to rebuild a concert D or important piano.
My personnel impression is that the S&S pinblock have the same spec. we
have on the bolduc block with more grip on the tuning pin and better
feeling when you tune (more precise) specially with Fly brand tuning
pins .

Serge Harel

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] De la
part de Farrell
Envoyé : 11 février, 2003 22:47
À : pianotech@ptg.org
Objet : Pinblocks - Good & Bad

Anyone interested in the perfect pinblock? I am.

Where price is not a concern, to the best of my knowledge, the
quarter-sawn, 5-ply, hard maple Bolduc pinblock and perhaps the
many-laminate, rotary(?)-cut, European Beach Delignite pinblock are
considered two of the best. Are there others in this class?

I would like to hear what folks think are the strong and weak points of
both blocks (or other top quality blocks).

Bolduc - strong points - excellent tuning feel. What else is good about
the Bolduc block?

Bolduc - weak points - lack strength in no-plate-bushings applications -
tuning pin can work forward. Is that true? Any other weak points?

Delignite - strong points - strong, resists pin migration in
no-plate-bushings applications, resists tuning characteristic changes
with humidity fluctuations. Other good points?

Delignite - weak points - drilling critical to get appropriate torque.
Do they last as long - perhaps pins will loosen faster with such a rigid
block?

Thanks for any input.

Terry Farrell