Pinblocks - Good & Bad

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:48:37 -0600

>Anyone interested in the perfect pinblock? I am.

Sure, or at least pretty darn good one.

>Where price is not a concern, to the best of my knowledge, the
>quarter-sawn, 5-ply, hard maple Bolduc pinblock and perhaps the
>many-laminate, rotary(?)-cut, European Beach Delignite pinblock are
>considered two of the best. Are there others in this class?

That's two classes, with different characteristics, and there's the rub.

?

>Bolduc - weak points - lack strength in no-plate-bushings applications -
>tuning pin can work forward. Is that true? Any other weak points?

I haven't used them, but that's the case with similar blocks I see in
existing pianos.

>Delignite - strong points - strong, resists pin migration in
>no-plate-bushings applications, resists tuning characteristic changes with
>humidity fluctuations.

Yup.

?

>Delignite - weak points - drilling critical to get appropriate torque.

Yup.

>Do they last as long - perhaps pins will loosen faster with such a rigid
>block?

They seem to last as long or longer, since the pins don't migrate and
deform the hole.

>Thanks for any input.
>
>Terry Farrell

I don't personally see any compelling benefit to the Bolduc or Steinway
type block. While they are a nice feeling and very forgiving block, I think
they're too soft to keep the pin from migrating with the string tension.
Delignit resists pin migration well, but is pretty unforgiving of drilling
variance. Even though my two bit approach helps a lot there, it was
developed as a workaround of this problem. The cheap rotary cut blocks are
both forgiving of drilling variance, and can give a good feel, but aren't
as resistant to pin migration as Delignit. Something in between should be
pretty close to ideal. So I've decided to try to split the difference
between feel, forgiveness, and firmness, with a hybrid. I made up some test
samples of blocks using a body of the cheap rotary cut block, with a layer
of Delignit laminated on top. The idea is to get the benefit of the
resilience of the rotary cut down in the block, with the support and pin
migration resistance of the Delignit at the top. I tried 6mm, 9mm, and 12mm
Delignit laminations, as well as a control sample of just the standard
block. Driving pins into 0.25" holes that would normally be used in just
the standard block, I find that the 6mm is pretty much the same feel as the
standard block. The 9mm isn't significantly tighter, bit it is a little,
while having that much more top support. The 12mm laminated sample was
considerably tighter, and there is more difference in torque from pin to
pin than in any of the other configurations. Double drilling would most
likely have evened this out some, but part of what I was looking for was
idiot resistance in use, so I drilled everything in one pass. At this
point, I like the 9mm lamination best, and I expect I'll use it in a piano
soon unless something I find in further testing changes my mind.

It seems like a fair split between the best of both worlds.

Ron N