Pinblocks - Good & Bad

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:46:56 -0500

Anyone interested in the perfect pinblock? I am.

Where price is not a concern, to the best of my knowledge, the quarter-sawn, 5-ply, hard maple Bolduc pinblock and perhaps the many-laminate, rotary(?)-cut, European Beach Delignite pinblock are considered two of the best. Are there others in this class?

I would like to hear what folks think are the strong and weak points of both blocks (or other top quality blocks).

Bolduc - strong points - excellent tuning feel. What else is good about the Bolduc block?

Bolduc - weak points - lack strength in no-plate-bushings applications - tuning pin can work forward. Is that true? Any other weak points?

Delignite - strong points - strong, resists pin migration in no-plate-bushings applications, resists tuning characteristic changes with humidity fluctuations. Other good points?

Delignite - weak points - drilling critical to get appropriate torque. Do they last as long - perhaps pins will loosen faster with such a rigid block?

Thanks for any input.

Terry Farrell