Hammer Shank Ratio

Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:21:35 +0100

Folks

I keep being bothered by the differing conventions for measuring the
ratio of the hammer shank. From the Law of Levers we know that the ratio
is the same whether its weight, speed, or distance we are looking at.
Below are a couple pictures showing a method of checking the hammer
shank ratio by measuring the weights involved. First is the SW and
second is a difficult (but doable)  quantity to measure, the actual
weight of the hammer assembly at the knuckle. The flange is replaced by
an adapter to the Stanwood kit so as to achieve as solid and friction
free a measurement as possible. And the wood dowel used to contact the
knuckle is glued in place to tray so as to remove any influence from it
moving around. About 50 samples were taken, and compared to a 60 second
sampling under vibration.... the variation of the samples was at highest
80,4 grams and at lowest 73.1 grams. About 80 % of the samples were
right around 76 grams, and the average weight under vibration was at
about 75 grams, though as soon as the vibration was shut of the scale
settled at 76.5... which ended up being the picture I took. All in all
it seems pretty reasonable that in this case the established ratio is
76.5 / 10.1 which gives a ratio of  7.57 for this hammer shank assembly.

[Image][Image]

 Now the interesting part of all this comes when you compare the
different conventions for finding the ratio by measuring lever arm
distances. Remember that whatever method is chosen simply must conform
reasonably to the ratio established above. So first .... some distances.

--From center of hammer shank diameter to knuckle contact point 13 mm
A) From middle of center pin to middle of hammer molding straight down
the shank -- 136 mm
B) From middle of center pin to center of gravity point on the hammer
142 mm
C) From middle of center pin to tip of hammer 148 mm
D) From middle of center pin to middle of knuckle molding -- 17.3 mm
E) From middle of center pin to knuckle contact point 21,64 calculated
as root (17,3^2 + 13^2)

Now lets take a look at which convention most closely conforms to the
already established ratio.

A/D = 7.86  (given by Vincent RPT)
B/D = 8.21  (discussed informally on the PTD list)
B/E = 6.56  (I ran into this one in Stockholm last year in informal
discussions)
C/E = 6.84  (given by Overs)
A/D = 6.28 (suggested by a technical editor informally in private
correspondence)

Its quite obvious which one of these comes out best. But what is most
interesting is the degree of deviation from those that conform poorly.
>From this the initial conclusion is inescapable, that the method
Vincent gives for measuring lever arms is the most dependable.

I intend to further refine the weight measurement method, and supplement
it with a contrivance for moving the assembly at the knuckle a given
distance and comparing that to the distance the hammer moves.

Fun eh ???

Cheers

RicB

--------------EA376931CAA9B6F637A7820E
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--------------EA376931CAA9B6F637A7820E
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmail57.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 44152 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------EA376931CAA9B6F637A7820E
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmail1J.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 41427 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------EA376931CAA9B6F637A7820E--