Haines Bros.

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:39:37 -0500

Wayne, if I were you, I would "respect" A=440..meaning:

Shoot for it as an ultimate goal, but do not be surprised if A=435 to 438
doesn't 'sound' better on that instrument.

I have a number of older uprights in my database that simply 'sound' better
at a little lower pitch..usually no lower than A=435.

but..

Recently, I was able to obtain A=440 on a 1864..that's right - 1864 Steinway
Style 2 Grand..but..the only thing that wasn't changed was the damper system
(grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)..the plate is new on this old girl.

I "respected" 440 at the request of the rebuilder, because he was not sure
how everything would hold up with that much more tension on the plate.

She's doing just fine.

Respect Wayne..that would be my advice.

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
phil@philbondi.com