Rebuilt Steinway...The General Issues

Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:22:11 +0100

David Skolnik wrote:

> David and LIst -
>

> At 09:08 PM 2/9/2003 -0800, David Love wrote:
> >Any piano will benefit from a humidity control device.  I don't know why
> >Steinway would not recommend one, and I've never heard of that policy from
> >them.

Upon directly asking John Page about this he remained uncommited... which
reflects Steinways official position relative to Damp Chasers. They make no
official recommendations either way regarding this system. Rather they make the
recommendation David Skolnik gives below.

> In fact, Steinway's web site makes absolutely no mention of
> DampChasers.  They recommend maintaining the room environment at between
> 45% and 65% by the use of room humidification, dehumidification and
> air-conditioning.  My experience has been that Steinway has been extremely
> reticent in recommencing the use of DampChasers, as they have no control
> over the quality of the installation, nor the dependability of the product
> itself.
>

> So...what ARE our expectations regarding soundboard splitting?  Would we be
> willing to recommend the purchase of a new piano, off the showroom floor,
> with a split board?  Why not?  How many splits are OK?

I would think, that the compression crowned board has at least this one
advantage... that they would have less cracks due to exposure to overly dry
climate conditions. But perhaps I am in error here. Either way.... I am not
sure how one can "guarantee" a panel against cracks. You simply have to treat
it reasonably well.