Estonia

KENNETH FINLAYSON kennyfin@jetstream.net
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 01:43:33 -0800

Hi Bob:=20

Long time no see. Hello to Gord.

My first impressions of the Estonia pianos were very positive: a nice, =
responsive action, with good transmission of tone, and less than half =
the price of a Steinway.

After several years, some of the pianos seem to have soft pins; that is, =
probably too large a hole drilled in the pinblock for the size of pin. =
One customer in particular I have in mind. After a couple of years, the =
piano is not holding it's tune. Not having worked for that dealer, It is =
difficult to determine whether the piano had established memory in the =
store, before delivery. After several years, when one suspects the =
truth, what does one do?=20

We should enquire if there is a warranty. If so, then the piano dealer =
should be responsible to repin and/or fix the problem. Who is to say, on =
the other hand, if the pins are not tight enough? So what if the =
customer has to have it tuned at least twice a year? It would depend on =
how bad it is. Every piano dealer must be allowed some artistic license. =
If I tune a piano and some other tuner doesn't like it, am I =
responsible? These problems arise when we deal with the unknown, that =
is, a non-established company, with a non-established product.=20

I have had this problem before, with soft pins in supposedly =
reconditioned pianos coming from used piano dealers. The trouble is, you =
don't always know if it will hold its tune until the used warranty is =
up.=20

I have been assured by the Estonia dealer the soft-pin problem has been =
corrected.

Kenny Finlayson, RPT