Rebuilt Steinway

Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:08:53 -0800

It will be difficult for any technician to make an assessment without
inspecting the piano and I'm not sure what you will hear from the list.
Soundboards can crack if put through the rigors of heavy expansion and
contraction associated with large swings in humidity.  That you report the
piano not staying in tune may be indicative of a very unstable environment.
Any piano will benefit from a humidity control device.  I don't know why
Steinway would not recommend one, and I've never heard of that policy from
them.  Soundboard cracks generally do not buzz.  Rib separations from the
back of the board will, however, which may have prompted the replacement of
the board.   Most rebuilders will not warranty against cracks in the board,
especially if the piano is not kept in a controlled environment.

Changes in tone can be a function of many variables.  It is likely that a
new board will outperform the old board under most circumstances.   I would
try to find a reputable technician in the area to advise you--someone not
affiliated with that dealer who can give you an unbiased report and address
the problems and concerns you have.  It may be something as simple as
voicing.    Dealers do not always use the best technicians.  They are
sometimes motivated by the best price.  See if you can get a reference from
the local chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild in your area ( see
www.ptg.org for a list).  Or contact some of the better known teachers in
your area and ask for a referral.   Without a thorough first hand
inspection of the piano, you are not going to be able to get enough
information to address whatever problems may exist.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Two
> weeks ago I noticed that there is a separation in the new soundboard.
The