(no subject)

Brian Trout brian_trout@hotmail.com
Sun, 09 Feb 2003 21:31:34 -0600

Hi Deb,

If I may ask a few questions, it may be helpful for some in giving a
reasonable response.

You do mention that it was rebuilt when you bought it in 2001.  What was
rebuilt when you bought it in 2001?  The action of the piano? (i.e. keys,
hammers, action parts?)  "Refinishing" could have been lumped into the
"Rebuilt" wording on the part of the person who sold it to you, but that
probably has little relevance to your current situation.

You also mention that it had a new soundboard installed in 2002.  Hmmm...
If the piano was "Rebuilt" when you bought it in 2001, it shouldn't have
needed a new soundboard in 2002, but for sake of discussion, I'll assume
(dangerous, I know) that only the action of the piano had been rebuilt.

Who installed the new soundboard?  Was the piano sent back to Steinway in
New York to have their restoration department do the work?  Was it done by a
local technician?  Were you offered any kind of warranty?

Ok, something a little closer to home...  What kind of environment has the
piano been living in?  Is it being exposed to large ammounts of direct
sunlight?  Is it sitting directly over a hot air vent or situated in a very
dry location?  Have there been drastic swings in relative humidity, as in
going from very high humidity levels to much lower humidity levels?  Is
there a climate control system of any kind installed on the piano?  If not,
is the relative humidity of it's location kept above 30% or so relative
humidity and below 60% or so?

You mention what sounds like a split down the grain of the wood of one of
the boards making up the soundboard.  That in and of itself probably doesn't
have a huge impact on the sound quality of what you're hearing from your
piano.  However, the causes of that split or crack may have a radical impact
on the sound of your piano.  And unfortunately, it may be difficult for us
to offer advice without a personal examination of the instrument.

There are a number of somewhat complex technical things that affect the "not
having much sound in the upper register" including a few things like
stiffness, mass, and crowning of the soundboard, most of which won't mean
much to you without your being a technician.  How that soundboard was
constructed can and does affect the sound, though, which is why I was asking
who installed the soundboard.  That may give a clue as to some of those
technical things.

It may be helpful if you would give a geographical area where you (and I
presume) the piano are located, which would give anyone who may be reading
and qualified the opportunity to get in contact with you to set up an
appointment to evaluate your piano.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Steinway piano.
They are wonderful instruments when properly rebuilt and properly taken care
of.

Please feel free to tell us some more of the specifics so that we can in
turn be more specific with our answers to you.

Best of luck,

Brian Trout