Rosler ... Store Prep

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:30:54 -0600

We are confusing each other.=20

The store owner who sold this piano is the "tooner" in question. He is a =
guitar player (gospel). He has a gorgeous singing voice and I'm told he =
plays the guitar quite well.

Be he knows nothing about the science of music, string theory, tuning, =
partials, beats, how pianos work, etc. And he is not teachable, at least =
by me, because he is--in his words--"very competitive" and "not afraid =
of a fight," i.e., there is, in his mind, no such thing as cooperation =
in business, only battle.

Direct quote: "A string is either in tune, or not in tune. Tuning a =
piano is no different than tuning a guitar. An A is an A, a C is a C, or =
it's not."

He has caused me to coin a mot of wisdom: "It's okay to be ignorant, but =
don't be proud of it."

Me, I'm learning a lot about pianos in my 3rd year of business and play =
them reasonably well. Guitars I play a whole lot better (classical & =
finger-pickin'). Although reading your posts has just humbled me in =
realizing I know very little about the subtleties of guitar construction =
and tuning, etc. Can you recommend materials to study in this area?

The question I asked was how to deal with this person who bought the =
piano ... very delicate politics to secure an ongoing account, not =
bad-mouth the local good-old-boy store owner, etc. Also, my question was =
triggered by the fact that I've never done prep work. I don't know what =
is normally done, what needs doing, and that sort of thing. Also, I'm =
sure it varies with the manufacturer.

Regards,

Alan

  ----- Original Message -----=20