Rosler ... Store Prep

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:41:36 EST

In a message dated 2/10/03 1:36:06 AM !!!First Boot!!!, tune4u@earthlink.net
writes:

> I'm going Tues. to tune a new Rosler upright just purchased from the local
> piano store--the guy who tunes flat scale with a guitar tuner or a strobe.
> I KNOW he has done no new-piano prep.
>
> If this were your, call. How would you handle this first call? And what's
> the word on Rosler pianos, I've never seen one.
>
> 'Preciate any advice. My experience to-date has been almost exclusively
> with pianos that have been "in the field" for years.
>
> Alan Barnard
>  Salem, MO

Alan

Before you get started, ask the customer when she purchased it, how long she
has had it in the house, and if she was offered any kind of "free" service,
like a tuning, after delivery. If there was, ask if that has been performed.
Also ask if she got any kind f warrantee from the dealer and/or the company.

Next I would carefully evaluate the piano before doing any work. How bad is
it out of tune? Is the action regulated and are the screws tight? In other
words, try to find out what, if anything, has been done to the piano.

If everything checks out, then just tune it and get paid. If you see any
problems you think should have been covered under "normal prep" and/or
warrantee work, tell the customer to cal the store to get it taken care of.
Don't do the work, and then either charge the customer, with the intent that
she gets reimbursed by the store, or expect to get paid by the store. The
customer might not get reimbursed, and she'll be mad at you for charging her
extra. Or the store won't pay you, because they didn't authorize you to do
the work.

You might loose out on a service call, but I think it might be better in the
long run not to get involved in any way with a piano that wasn't properly
prepped. Pretty soon the store will get the picture, and maybe customers will
get the picture, too, that the store isn't selling good pianos.

Wim