More plastic vs. CLP

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 11:11:56 EST

tune4@earthlink.net writes:

> Don't the centerpins run through bushing cloth just like any other action?
> I don't understand why the plastic has anything to do with the sluggishness
> of the centers.  Maybe reaming for a little more clearance might be a
> better solution.  Lubrication may not be the answer to overly tight fitting
> pins.
>
> Paul Chick

Yes, they do run through cloth.  And I'm as baffled as anyone as to why
lubrication doesn't seem to work on plastic when it has worked practically
every time with wood centers.  It's happened on numerous occasions with
plastic, not just once or twice.

In most situations I've seen, with wood, you can take a very tight center,
use CLP or some other such lube, and the center is virtually free, if only
temporarily.  Almost every plastic part I've seen that has been even slightly
tight has been virtually unaffected by the introduction of lubricants.

I am not making a judgement here, just offering what I've experienced to the
list, thinking that maybe somebody knows something that I don't(well, that's
a given...:-).

Dave