Dowel Source

Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:03:08 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Philip Jamison=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: February 07, 2003 8:30 AM
  Subject: Dowel Source

  Thanks for the replies on a source for 5/32" dowels for reed organ =
repair. Player Piano Company had them, but they no longer do. Schaff =
sells 3/16" dowels which are too big. Home Depot and hardware store sell =
sizes by 1/16" increments. Turning my own might be tough to do =
accurately. Dowel making machines are available, I've discovered. =
Stanley made one and Lee Valley Tools currently does. Unfortunately =
again, 1/4" is the smallest size. Maybe I'll just have to find a junker =
reed organ and steal some!

  Philip Jamison Pianos
  West Chester, PA

Try someplace like:
    C.B. Cummings
    P.O. Box 346
    Norway, ME  04268
    Phone:  207.743.6326
    Fax:  207.743.9702
    Email:  cummings@cbcummings.com

Or:
    Chicago Dowel Co., Inc.
    4700 W. Grand Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60639
    Phone: 773.622.2000
        800.333.6935
    Fax:  773.622.2047
    Email:  sales@chicagodowel.com

They both make both 1/8" and 5/32" dowels in a variety of hardwoods =
(including maple). They also make dowel pins (or glue pins) down to at =
least 3/16", perhaps smaller. Both are commercial suppliers usually sell =
in rather large quantities -- we have ordered dowel pins in multiples of =
1,000 each quantities -- but if you give them the proper sob story they =
might feel enough sorry for you to skim off just a few.

Del