Henry Herz Belly Brace JPG

Thu, 06 Feb 2003 08:59:11 +0100

My best guess as to the reverse of the usual case orientation is to
angle the strings such to maximize string length while minimizing case
size and keeping a non overstrung scale. That in itself seems actually
quite reasonable.

Why the soundboard should be turned upside down tho is probably an
entirely different matter. Aside from perhaps the desire to have the
hammers deflect the strings upwards against the bridge instead of away
from the bridge I cant guess. The amount of bearing needed might be
slightly  reduced because of this... at least if you subscribe to the
idea that bearing is needed at least in part,  to help hold the strings
tight against the bridge.

Does it sound / perform better then other configurations ??.... :)
Actually it has a really nice sound considering its age and condition. I
think we are going to put a low pitch tuning on it and record a few
tunes on it, and if we do I can post it.

The awkward to tune part I am not so sure about. I will find out soon
enough, but as long as there is reasonable rendering, wouldnt the upside
down pinblock be just a matter of getting used to it ?

The action is really cute.. with the middle lever being hinged to the
hammer, and the de-coupleing of the hammer and key taking place at the
key itself... which exhanges roller / knuckle friction for a center pins
friction. Page 176 of Hardings book shows a diagram of the thing.

Anyways... its all very fascinating.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.