D hammers

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 12:56:36 -0600

>Can you share some details regarding this brace you "routinely" install
>during soundboard replacement?

Paul,
The belly rail in a lot of pianos is un-braced through the top half of the
scale. An overly flexible belly rail tends to bleed energy from the
soundboard rather than reflecting it like it should. Adding a brace
stiffens the rail and helps sustain. With the soundboard out and everything
more easily reachable, I make up a beam of roughly similar cross sectional
dimensions to those already there, usually of poplar if it's going to be
painted black. I've used oak if that's what was there, and even old back
posts from junked uprights. The brace goes about half way between the "tone
collector" and the treble end - or wherever It looks to me like it will do
the most good as a stiffener. It's butted against the belly rail, and
fitted to the curve of the rim (or into the corner of the intersection
between the treble fan brace and the rim). After scraping and sanding off
the finish where the brace goes, I glue it in with either an epoxy and wood
sanding dust mix, or Titebond. I'm not sure it makes any difference in
performance, so it's more a matter of looks and working preference. Half
inch dowels, top and sides, secure it after the glue has set up. Anyway,
that's the way I do it.

A brace to the long straight side is also a good idea, for the same reason.

Ron N