tuning a grand with the lid down

HazenBannister@cs.com HazenBannister@cs.com
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:15:07 EST

Hi,
  I had to tune a Steinway D today for a concert.The hall was very lively,and
hard to tune in.After I tune the piano,I always make a last pass,listening
softly,and critically.I let the lid down,and it made a wonderful difference
on being able to hear.I was listening to what was coming out from under the
lid,( with my head down ) instead of all the reverberations going on in the
room around me.It will make tuning in a live room, a lot easier in the
future.
Best,
Hazen Bannister