Turning down the plate screws to increase bearing

Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:38:50 -0800

Ron:

There is a small amount of measurable crown in this area, about 1/32".  I
obviously don't want to break the plate, yet it seems like the board could
be pressed down a bit more.  The other alternative would be to take down
the tension and move the aliquots forward toward the bridge to increase the
rear bearing a bit, but that's more work (and God help us, I might detune
the duplex!).  It is very likely that the board is just weak there.  I'm
looking for a way to experiment that's not too dangerous.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net