Tuning Theory Question

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:24:10 -0600

Reblitz is a great starting place to learn about pianos and piano =
repairs. It is not a complete course in itself, by any stretch.

The tuning THEORY chapter has some good stuff but is better understood =
after some other reading and experience.

The tuning PRACTICE chapter is not an adequate guide to self-taught =
tuning and may discourage more than encourage, IMHO. And yes, you really =
need to know what 2:1, 4:2, 6:3, ... is all about.

I put up a long article about string physics, beats, and beat ratios =
some time back. You can search under "ghost tuning" or "ghost tones." =
Using ghost tones you will really find, hear, and better understand the =
partials that cause the beating you work with to create intervals with =
accurate widths.

I'll let others recommend specific books to you. Many of us learned with =
the Randy Potter Course, so I don't know which other books to recommend. =
If you read Braid-White or any of the older books you should also read =
more modern materials that teach you to use 3rds, 6ths, 10ths, etc.--the =
faster-beating intervals--as well as techniques and practices that have =
been developed in MODERN history.

Also, ahem, join PTG if you have not and borrow the PTG materials used =
to prep for the tuning exam (and the repair materials, too.)

Dem R my ideas.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
  ----- Original Message -----=20