Breaking strings on a new Kawai grand

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:53:31 -0500

C'est un message de format MIME en plusieurs parties.

MessageJust from reading your post, it's like a nightmare for me. I had a
small 18 years old oriental piano student that had this problem too. I think
this problem is caused more by very rapid repetition with the pedal on. She
originally had a Knabe 5'8" so I thought this piano was a goner. So they
bought a Yamaha C-3 and she started breaking strings on it. She then bought
another piano and the same thing happened. She lived 100 miles from my
place, really liked my work, but I had to let her go since I couldn't just
thought of: increase letoff, decrease blow, change striking point, even
raised the hammer rail to change striking angle. NOTHING worked. Every time
I sent there, there were about 6 or 7 strings broken. I eventually told the
mother (she almost cried) that I couldn't come anymore since they lived too
far. This is the only thing that has worked for me in a situation like that.

Marcel Carey, RPT
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Byron Quam
  Sent: 2003-février-04 15:53
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Breaking strings on a new Kawai grand

  I recently tuned a four-year-old Kawai GE3 and ended up replacing 13
broken strings  (26 unisons). I found out that the client has broken twenty
some strings since she bought the piano. She is a tiny (100 lbs) third year
performance piano University student that is studying under a Russian
instructor. The Russian instructor possibly explains the banging technique
that she has acquired. She told me that she has broken strings on other
pianos. All of the broken strings are in the high mid-treble and low
high-treble and broken at the capo bar and some of the replaced strings have
been broken.

  I realize that this piano would probably not have any problems in 95
percent of the homes it would be placed in because the players would not
pound so. However I'm wondering:

  1. Could it be a flaw in the piano design or construction?

  2. If anything can be done to make these strings less susceptible to
breakage?

  Any insight would be appreciated. These strings are covered by warranty
but the situation is not good because she has to practice on a piano with
missing strings or newly replaced (constantly going flat) strings.

  Thanks

  Byron Quam – piano tuning and repair

  Vancouver BC