D hammers

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:39:35 +0100

On dinsdag, feb 4, 2003, at 16:39 Europe/Amsterdam, Paul Chick
(EarthLink) wrote:

> List Members
>
> A customer with a 1970's Steinway D  #442772, is thinking about
> installing
> Renner hammers.  He's looking to improve the power in the 5th and 6th
> octave.  He is happy with the rest of the piano.   I don't think he
> will get
> the power he's looking for, but I don't have that much experience with
> the D
> and hammer changing.  Has anyone done this with Renner's and did you
> get the
> desired results?
>
> Paul Chick

Hello Paul,

When I look at the serial number 442772 it would seem high time to
replace the hammers, especially if the owner is a pianist.
In that case the instrument will naturally be in a much better
condition with a hammer change (if you know what you are doing and how
to do it).
The Hamburg Steinways all have Renner hammers but as far as I know they
are not the same as the so called Renner blues which seem to be softer.
The Hamburg Renner hammers are superior hammers and if you buy the
original Steinway set (pre glued) you and the customer will pay a
superior price too, but they are worth it.
They are covered with the well known Wurzen felt which, according to
Steinway, Bösendorfer, Yamaha (handmade) and Bechstein (to name a few)
is the very best felt in the world.
You 're talking about a Steinway, so it would have to be either an
American Steinway set or an European Steinway set, in my not so humble
opinion.
About the American hammer heads I have no opinion because I  have no
experience with them. The European Steinway Renner heads I know very
well.

What ever you choose, make sure you know what you are doing as it takes
a lot of professional experience to make a Steinway D a Steinway D.

friendly greetings from

Antares,
The netherlands

Where Music is no harm can be.......