Detuning bass strings; was loose bridge pins; Now it's plate strength

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:58:58 -0800

Most plates are WWAAAAAAAYYYYYY over-engineered. However, it depends on what
plate you are discussing. I recall a few plates such as Bechsteins that were
not so heavy and have a propensity for breakage. I don't know it that
propensity is due to metallurgy or design, but we must take some thoughtful
cautions. After all, there is 20 tons tension on most modern design pianos.
Just my thoughts.
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)