loose bridge pins

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 22:45:53 -0600

Terry asks:

> Can you "safely" pound in loose bridge pins without structural damage to
the piano?

I don't think so ... no.

> If this is not recommended, what about "soaking" the holes with 5 min
epoxy, with the pins in place?

Gonna make a real mess and probably not solve the problem ...

>They are semi  loose, but not to such an extent that you can remove them
without the aid of a needle nose pliers.

They aren't goint to get any tighter ...

> If need be, can i safely detune the entire bass section, in order to
remove and replace ALL the old pins?

Absolutely. This is the proper fix. Put the piano on it's back (if it's an
upright), turn the bridge pins carefully about one turn (teensy increments
more if needed), remove strings from plate pins putting them
one-at-a-time-in-order on a loop of spare wire (coat hanger wire works just
dandy), remove pins, drill the holes a smidge deeper with a slightly
undersized bit, if you wish (Dremmel type tool is great here), install one
size larger pins, tap them to the bottom, gently, with a small hammer
(handy-hammer is good).

>  There are NO cracks in either bridge, so I just want to get the pins
TIGHT as quickly and easily as possible.

Interesting that there are no cracks because the looseness is likely due to
a combination of dryness (sell them a DC!) and sidebearing that has
"ovalated" (new word, NOT "ovulated") the holes. Without cracks, I'd say an
application of CA or epoxy is optional and I wouldn't "mess" with it--pun
intended.

> Thanks for the help!

Welcome. Others will probably have somewhat different suggestions so stay
tuned. I've just described what I, personally, would do--but others have
mucho more than my 3 years experience.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO