Service on the Beach

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 21:16:57 -0500

I drove 110 miles round trip today (Sunday) to tune one piano. Isn't that ridiculous?

I had inspected the piano for purchase a month or so ago. They kinda begged me to come to their house in the future to tune it. They told me to bring my wife and kids. Well, wife could not go, but my son came with me. What wonderful people. The old guy ran up and down the beach with my son while I tuned. They live right on the beach on Anna Maria Island (just south of St. Petersburg, Florida). The lady asked my to stop tuning several times so I could watch a couple groups of dolphin (Flipper type) play just offshore and while a couple huge blue herons came begging for food on her back porch. My son ran in several times to show us parrot fish, sea urchins, and coconuts that he had found along the beach. Had a marvelous long chat with the lady about life, love, children (mostly about my WONDERFUL son) and unequal tuning temperaments (she loved the Moore temperament I used). Then we played tennis ball catch with BIG doggie for a while, packed up the stinky dead fish, etc. (triple bagged 'em), stopped up the road for a great grouper dinner out on the pier, and drove home.

Made a couple bucks. Had a great day with my son. Enjoyed wonderful warm company. Played on the beach. Man, this beats the 9 to 5 grind at the office any day. What a blast! What on earth did I ever do to deserve this?  :-)

And thanks to Jon Page for recommending my services to Mr. & Mrs. Hall. Thanks Jon!

Terry Farrell