Feb Journal

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 02 Feb 2003 07:26:41 -0500

Jonathan,

How do you manage to have no-shows only for the last appointment?

I used to get upset about no-shows.  Nowadays I'm more ambiguous on the
subject.

Plus:  A (usually) welcome break in the day.  Minuses:  I frequently
turn business away to keep my schedule sane, and that appointment could
have been used by someone who really wanted it.  Also, my income for
that day will decrease 20%

I leave a form letter at the door of no-shows.  It states that if there
was an unforeseen emergency, just let me know and we'll reschedule -- no
problem.  If there was an oversight on their part, we all make mistakes,
but there is a loss for me because now it will take two appointments
when I will only be paid for one.  Our policy is to absorb the loss for
the first occurrence.  Second occurrence will yield a bill for half the
normal tuning charge.  It is up to the client to contact me if they want
to reschedule.

I'm not aware that anyone has gotten angry over my policy.  It also does
a little to educate the client, who may have never stopped to think of
the impact on the tuner's life.  Some call back to reschedule with
profuse apologies.  Others I never hear from again.  I don't get upset.
Life is life.

Contrary to Wim's statement that he will never get paid for no-shows, it
can happen, but it's rare.  One woman felt so badly that she sent me a
check for the full tuning charge.  I followed my policy, rescheduled,
and charged nothing additional for the "prepaid" tuning.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA