Tuning Bluthner unison 4th string

Richard.Brekne Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no
Sat, 01 Feb 2003 19:25:39 +0100

>Dear List Members,
>
>What is the preferred method for tuning the 4th
>(unstruck) string on a Bluthner unison.  My basic
>assumption was tune the 3 unison strings normally,
>then listen for the sympathetic vibrations of the 4th
>string.  Is this correct? I had also thought about
>playing the unison, then plucking the 4th string but
>this did not seem to be the proper way to go about it.
> Second, when tuning this string how does one go about
>equalizing the tension across the string?
>
>John Pasterczyk
>Associate Member PTG

I dont do a lot of these, but when I do I tune the unison first, then
muting two of the unision strings I play the note and zoom in on the
beat rate between the sympthetic vibrations of the 4th and the single
unison string. If the 4th string is to be tuned at the same pitch I find
that it had better not be flat... better a shade sharp if off at all.
But if its tuned at a 5th above I seem to like to let it drift a tad on
the flat side if its going to miss.

We've talked a bit about backlengths, duplexs, and other sympathetic
vibration schemes several times. This one alwasy amazes me at how much
it contributes (for better or worse) to the overall sound of the piano.
Well worth experimenting around with IMHO

RicB