Tuning the Bluthner/plucking

Richard.Brekne Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no
Sat, 01 Feb 2003 19:18:10 +0100

Joseph Garrett wrote:

>For those of us that use an ETD, I think we've found, (at least I have),
>that when you pluck a string it will read flat as opposed to being struck by
>the hammer. I don't know why, but this seems to be consistant. Any thoughts
>from the Scientific bunch?
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Joe, its been my experience you can get the same pitch if you wait long
enough after the hammer hits the string, ghost the partial (where thats
possible), or hit the key very lightly. Punching it is bound to read
sharp at first. I aggree with what I understand Jim Coleman has to say
on this matter, that knowing how far into the decay to read the display
is one of the real tricks to using the ETD.

RicB