Tuning Bluthner unison 4th string

Nelson. Gene (PWA) nelsong@SacCounty.NET
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:40:57 -0800

try this: pluck the 4th strings to tune and help set pins. the fourth string
on the unisons where the extra string is the same length as the unison
strings should be tuned to the same pitch as the unison. those that are half
the length of the unisons should be tuned as an octave above that unison.
taking inharmonisity into account, if tuning f6 and 4th string is half
length then it may not quite match where you would put f7. having never
tuned one,  this my basic assumption.
gene

-----Original Message-----
From: John Pasterczyk [mailto:jp@southbaypiano.com]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 10:05
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Tuning Bluthner unison 4th string

Dear List Members,

What is the preferred method for tuning the 4th
(unstruck) string on a Bluthner unison.  My basic
assumption was tune the 3 unison strings normally,
then listen for the sympathetic vibrations of the 4th
string.  Is this correct? I had also thought about
playing the unison, then plucking the 4th string but
this did not seem to be the proper way to go about it.
 Second, when tuning this string how does one go about
equalizing the tension across the string?

John Pasterczyk
Associate Member PTG