pedal lyre screws are obsolete

kenneth.gerler kenneth.gerler@prodigy.net
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:15:03 -0600

Julia,
When I ran into this problem, I went to the hardware store and bought some
bolts(after measuring the length needed to go through both the lyre and the
keybed) and "T" nuts (bolts the same diameter as the old wood screws). Next,
drill out the holes where the screws were, also get a spade drill bit the
size of the outside diameter of the "T" nuts, and make a cutting edge on the
opposite side of the bit from the edge. That way you can use it to
countersink the place to put the "T" nut in the key bed and be out of the
way of the keyframe. Slip the bit into the hole (you previously drilled)
from the top of the keybed, attach you drill to the bit hanging down from
the keybed and drill a depth that will allow the "T" nut to clear the
keyframe when it is reinserted. This repair will make the lyre like a lot of
the new pianos being produced today and should last the lifetime of the
piano.

Ken Gerler
----------------------------
originial message

greetings,

            I recently took on a job for a small church with a Hazelton
Brothers 6' grand that the pedal lyre just fell off, because the lyre sticks
came
out at one unknown time a long time ago and they kept using the piano,
pedals
and all. This caused the pedal lyre to "swing in the breeze" with use and as
consequence, the whole pedal lyre fell off because the screws were worked
loose from use.

             Removing the remaining 2, (of 4)  5/16" diameter x 2 3/4" long
screws resulted in a search for replacements only to find they are no longer
made. Does anyone know where I can obtain such obsolete fastners? Someone at
hardware store mentioned a place named Constantine's in New York. Has anyone
heard of this place? The national 1-800 directory assistance has no phone
number
on them and typing in www.constantine results in web page under construction
message, so I cannot even be sure if this is the right constantine company.

thanks,
Julia Gottschall
piano rookie,
Reading, PA