pedal lyre screws are obsolete

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:03:08 -0800

You could use lag bolts (screws) or install threaded inserts and then =
use machine bolts.  I just converted from loose screws on three legs and =
lyre to those.  I totaled 18 in all.  Worked great.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alpha88x@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2003 8:21 PM
  Subject: pedal lyre screws are obsolete

  greetings,

              I recently took on a job for a small church with a =
Hazelton Brothers 6' grand that the pedal lyre just fell off, because =
the lyre sticks came out at one unknown time a long time ago and they =
kept using the piano, pedals and all. This caused the pedal lyre to =
"swing in the breeze" with use and as a consequence, the whole pedal =
lyre fell off because the screws were worked loose from use. =20

               Removing the remaining 2, (of 4)  5/16" diameter x 2 3/4" =
long screws resulted in a search for replacements only to find they are =
no longer made. Does anyone know where I can obtain such obsolete =
fastners? Someone at a hardware store mentioned a place named =
Constantine's in New York. Has anyone heard of this place? The national =
1-800 directory assistance has no phone number on them and typing in =
www.constantine results in web page under construction message, so I =
cannot even be sure if this is the right constantine company.=20

  thanks,=20
  Julia Gottschall
  piano rookie,
  Reading, PA