eee-ahhh

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 06:36:53 -0700

MessageJoey, did you check the string leveling?  That would be my first =
guess.

Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joey Recker=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 6:18 PM
  Subject: eee-ahhh

  Tuned a piano at a church in Plains last week.  I was extremely =
satisfied with the results (they turn the HVAC off all week and it =
hadn't been tuned in a week).  Tonight after church the pianist =
mentioned to me how much better it sounded, but commented that one note =
sounded "funny".  Initially, I didn't hear the problem...  (I think =
because the strings are definately in tune and I was listening for =
beats).  But after a few moments I detected what she is talking about.  =
When you first hit the key, it quickly goes "eee-ahhh".  Every other =
note just says "ahh" (yeah, I know this sounds stupid, but I can't think =
of any other way to describe it).  It happens very quickly and is almost =
undetectable, but SHE noticed it, so it is now important to me.  It's =
like the note has two syllables instead of just one pure syllable.

  It quickly gets to the ahhh... and there are no further beats in the =
tone when played by itself or when checking octaves so I don't think =
it's what we would normally call a false beat. =20

  Sorry if this doesn't explain things properly...  but does anyone have =
any suggestions of things I should check?  I don't know where to start.

  Thanks
  Joey