Heavy action

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:46:37 +0200

Hello,

You could easily make try leading on an octave or two if you use double
sided tape on the keys to hold the lead.

Then you will have a real feel of what it gives.
Such high weight figures could be the ones of a compressed action with high
ratio, but if you are in a good configuration you could use these leads and
have a good touch I believe.

Beside, 40. 42 .44 g seems very light to me. more in the 48 - 52 range.

Done a fast leading with evening of SW and check of all  BW yesterday , took
12 hrs work including evening of SW, and re leading. I could use 2 or 3
hours more to nitpick some little defects but the action is really even (
Steinway D) with this 2/3 Stanwoodized job, and I liked the friction tracing
all along.

The jig from Stanwood is a must for un leading keys

Regards.

Isaac OLEG

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la part
de Richard Brekne
Envoye : lundi 30 septembre 2002 19:13
A : Pianotech
Objet : Re: Heavy action

  Whats your key ratio David ?.. You might be lucky here and be able to get
away with a quick move of the capstans in a couple of mils. If you are
regulating well at a shallow dip then thats a good indicator that you have
some room to move here.
  Otherwise... it would be helpfull to have a few othere parameters like
Strike Weights, knuckle placement and radius, Front Weights and the like.

  Cheers
  RicB

  "David M. Porritt" wrote:

     I have a Baldwin SF-10 here on which I just measured the action weight.
C4 is 60 grams down, 45 grams up!  Friction -- obviously is good -- down
weight bad.  I hate adding lots of lead to the keys, but on this piano there
are only 3 weights in the bass section, 2 at C4, only 1 in the upper treble,
and actually 2 in the _back_ of C8.  It appears that they did straight
pattern leading on this one.  I can add 1 - 2 weights to each key and bring
it down to 44 at A0, 42 at C4 and 40 at B7 (I'd probably just take out a
back weight on C8). There is a point of diminishing returns on some actions
where you can reduce downweight by adding leads but the additional inertia
makes it feel to the player as though it is as heavy as it was before.  Does
anyone think I'd get into inertia problems adding this amount of lead? dave
David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University